Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New York State of Mind

Here it is! My NYC post!!!!!!

Ok. So. New Year's Eve Day (aka December 31), me and my cousin and mom and sister and aunt (who i don't really like that much) went into New York. I personally wanted to explore SoHo, but NOOOOOOO. My aunt didn't want to do that! She wanted to shop at Canal Street (aka Knockoff Capital of the world). I really had no say in the matter.

We parked about a block away from Canal Street, and my aunt led us to her favorite little restaurant-cafe in SoHo. I was soooo excited. SOHO! Capital of Cool. There were actual COBBLESTONE streets!

At first, I was too afraid to take pictures, because I didn't want to be labeled a "tourist". But then, I was like, "Screw that! How many times do I get into New York?"

So here is my picture of Broadway in SoHo:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Then we went to this really cool place called Kitchen Commune (the restaurant-cafe), and I got this organic pizza, very good. But the place itself was amazing. Very SoHo (psh. Like I would know.) You would probably walk right past it if you were in a hurry. Pictures:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
(That's my sister.)

Then my aunt's like, "Let's go to this flea-market type thing." That REALLY got me excited. FLEA MARKET??????!!!!!!!! TRY MECCA!!!!! aha.
But it wasn't really a flea market, it was a MUUUUUUUUUUUUCH calmer Canal Street type thing. I should've gotten a "100% Cashmere scarf" for 5 dollars, but I didn't think about this until I got into the car to return home. STUPID! STUPID! The only things I got in New York (sad,very sad) were some amazing badass hobo gloves, and a cheesy I (Heart) NY t-shirt. Everybody needs one of those!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
(view out my window. Ain't it lovely? Psh. That's farm country behind that house.)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is where I got them:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Not until I got home did I realize that we were just a few blocks from the SoHo Flea Market. The ACTUAL SoHo Flea Market. The SoHo Freakin' Flea Market!!!! Do you realize what I could have found there????? Much more than a cheesy t and hobo gloves, let me tell you. I probably could've found albums I've been planning to decorate my walls with. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Oh yeah, and I was... about 2 blocks from the new Uniqlo store!!!!! I am SUCH an idiot!!! I should have stood up to my aunt and been like, "NO! I am staying in SoHo! I do not want to go to Canal Street!"

But we ended up at Canal Street. It's a flowing mass of humanity. All these (and NO, I am NOT racist, so don't act like you're in 5th grade and call me that) Asian people popping up at you every second going, "Purse? Handbag? Gucci? Chanel? 5 dolla!" I hated it!!!!!!!! It was just too much. I wanted to run back to the cobblestone streets of SoHo. So my mom got this weird pashima thing, and this kind of ugly hat. I was too freaked to buy anything! I know regret not getting this knockoff Chloe Betty bag. It looked exactly the same.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
It looks much better in person.

But we FINALLY got away from Canal Street (I was in a bad mood by this point), and walked just a block over into Little Italy. My mood instantly changed: It was much more neighborhood-y. Like you could tell that people actually lived there. People were wearing amazing fashions, too. You could tell they weren't tourists. Though, I must say: Are glasses necessary on a really overcast day? No. Stop trying so hard to be cool. But anyway, we went to the first pizzaria in the US, Lombardis (insanely, insanely good), then to this little Italian pastry shop that literally 5 people could fit in. I have NEVER had better cannolis (chocolate mousse, mmmmmm) or lobster tails (flaky pastry filled with the most amazing cream) in my LIFE.

By then it was time to go home. I waited outside Starbucks on Canal Street for 15 minutes while my party went to the bathroom (the line was unbelievably long- only clean restroom on Canal Street), and while I was waiting outside, I saw some hoooot indie guys (skinny pants, messy, sandy-colored hair that curled up juuuust a little at the ends, military style jacket) and the cuteset little hipster girl, of whom I know regret not sneaking a pictur (skinny jeans, cool sneaker/flat things, a khaki bomber jacket with the cutest dove pin [for peace], and a blond bob with side bangs). I'm sure anyone reading this would've appreciated her style.

So that ended my adventure in New York. I'm definately going this summer, and I want to do all the touristy stuff of midtown, and then I desperately want to explore SoHo, Chelsea, Tribeca, and the Village, and get some serious vintage shopping done!


Bold as love,
Moi


Whew. My fingers hurt!

5 Comments:

Blogger Alysha said...

Nice Poat! Always wanted to go to NY, live near it but it's one of those things that close but you never go. Was it fun? Hope you had a ball!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

i live in new york city...cute post (and blog!)

6:10 PM  
Blogger T said...

interesting post. god i love my hometown

2:16 PM  
Blogger T said...

interesting in a good way

and yes id like to trade links

4:26 PM  
Blogger Trost said...

Great post:D
I've always wanted to go to NY, but I live in Norway so I'm no where close to NY or USA for that matter. BUT I'm comming to USA in august as an exchange student:D GOD, Im looking forward to that:D
Keep posting;)

Karoline<3

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home