Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The touch, the feel of NYLON

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

After the tragic demise of ELLEgirl, I, like so many others who felt abandoned, started looking for a new magazine to fill that empty space inside. I though I'd try out NYLON. I bought the issue with Avril Lavinge on the cover, and I must say... I was disappointed.

But then I was at the bookstore, and I saw the cover with Amber Tamblyn on it. I think she's cool, and I like the whole "America issue" thing, so I decided to pick it up. Hey, what's $3.99?

Let me tell YOU, folks, NYLON has more than redeemed itself with this issue. It's spectacular.

Here's why: (and yes, I'm stealing this general idea from Hipster Musings' Isabel, and I'm sorry, but I had to write something on this issue, and this was the best way!)

#1. Forget Paris or London. This issue focuses on the good ol' US of A, and not even on Los Angeles or New York, but the smaller cities that are nonetheless hubs of fashion.

#2. Pgs- 28-29. Cory Kennedy is a styling genius. An entire outfit made out of things you can get at Rite Aid? Crazy.

#3. Pg 36. BADASS HOBO GLOVES!

#4. The major reason= pgs. 44 to 60. This is the part that focuses on cities other than New York and Los Angeles. Cities are: San Francisco, Portland, Austin, Omaha, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and Brooklyn. What other magazine would mention Omaha as a major stylish city? Each city has a whole page dedicated to it, with a description of the city, it's fashion, lots of pretty pictures, and the best stores in the area.

#5. pg 46- I've decided that I am moving to Portland, Oregon. Just read these snippets: "The city is green to its core, chock full of parks with an incredible mass transit system" "Bicycles are a primary mode of transport, which results in an extensive network of bike lanes and trails. Valet parking for bikes? Bike-in-movies? Look no further."

And this.... welll.... this is the clincher: "Because of the cool, cloudy climate, biking to woork and to oplay requires some foorethought. Bags need to be of the across-the-shoulder variety--a clutch won't cut it. As for the clothes, sundresses with oversized shades or worn-in leather knapsacks slung over vintage three-piece suits float by steadily, as do headbands [a staple in my closet], hand-knitted fingerless gloves [DITTO], and even a fanny back here and there [not so much]." I think I would fit right in.

#6 pg. 50- It describes Omaha as one of the best places to buy vintage in the country. COOL!

#7. It has a great essay on malls, and our strange, American-culture obsession with shopping in a concrete building with no windows.

#8. A tribute to 80's hair. Which.... is what I was for Halloween! Legwarmers, huge hair, bow headband, long sweater, leggings... yeah baby.

#9. Jackie O. Need I say more?

#10. I kind of want to be like Amber Tamblyn. A poet, and feminist, and a respected actress. What more is there?

#11. This magazine is not afraid to type "fuck".

#12. A beauty spread takes a blow at those foreigners who think American beauty is all boob jobs and lip implants. It's very stripped-down, natural beauty. Just beautiful.

#13. "Road to Nowhere"- a cool spread featuring "girls on the road"

So basically, what is there not to like?

Don't stop believin',
Moi

4 Comments:

Blogger Marie-Kristine said...

wow... nylon the next elle girl? wow. ive never heard of it! do they sell it at newstands or is it more subscription only? sounds really cool tho.

4:10 PM  
Blogger a said...

i actually was so upset when british ellegirl finished, it was the only magazine i could read with cool clothes in it that i could afford!!! then i was stuck to reading american ellegirl, and now what?? no more ellegirl? ever?? i have to read teen vogue, where the clothes are just as expensive as in real vogue, but they put dakota fanning on the cover.
if only there was an english nylon...

4:38 PM  
Blogger Ella Gregory said...

hahahaha i miss elle girl too. why did it end? my mate is obsessed with nylon, i buy tons of magazines and hes always like 'buy nylon, buy it! now!'

8:11 AM  
Blogger Isabel said...

You didn't copy me! :) This was a good issue, I agree. It made me want to travel the U.S..

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home